J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCP) – Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
J.C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCPenney), a holding company, operates through its principal operating subsidiary, J.C. Penney Corporation, Inc. (JCP). The company offers a wide range of products, including apparel, home furnishings, fine jewelry, footwear, accessories and beauty products. JCPenney offers its products and services under several brands, namely, Every Day Matters, Worthington, Okie Dokie, east5th, a.n.a, St. John’s Bay, she said, Decree, Linden Street, Article 365, The Original Arizona Jean Company, Ambrielle and Stafford amongst others. The company’s business focuses on the sale of merchandise and services to consumers through department stores and direct channels. The company operates over 1,108 JCPenney departmental stores in 49 states of the US, and Puerto Rico. The company is headquartered in Plano, Texas, the US.
This comprehensive SWOT profile of J. C. Penney Company, Inc. provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the company’s key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
- Business description – A detailed description of the company’s operations and business divisions.
- Corporate strategy – Analyst’s summarization of the company’s business strategy.
- SWOT Analysis – A detailed analysis of the company’s strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Company history – Progression of key events associated with the company.
- Major products and services – A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
- Key competitors – A list of key competitors to the company.
- Key employees – A list of the key executives of the company.
- Executive biographies – A brief summary of the executives’ employment history.
- Key operational heads – A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
- Important locations and subsidiaries – A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
- Detailed financial ratios for the past five years – The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
- Interim ratios for the last five interim periods – The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
- The profile analyzes the company’s business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitors’ business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
- The company’s core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
- Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companies’ strategic, financial and operational performance.
- Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
- Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Table of Contents 2
List of Tables 3
List of Figures 3
Section 1 - About the Company 4
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Key Facts 4
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Key Employees 5
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Key Employee Biographies 7
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Major Products and Services 8
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - History 9
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Company Statement 10
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Locations And Subsidiaries 12
Head Office 12
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 12
Section 2 - Company Analysis 14
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Business Description 14
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Corporate Strategy 15
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - SWOT Analysis 16
SWOT Analysis - Overview 16
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Strengths 16
Strength - Efficient Supply Chain 16
Strength - Able Brand Strategy 16
Strength - Leading Presence in the US 16
Strength - Expanding Profitability Ratios 16
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Weaknesses 17
Weakness - Lack of Capital Resources 17
Weakness - Legal Proceedings 17
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Opportunities 17
Opportunity - Strategic Expansion Initiatives 17
Opportunity - Rising Popularity of Online Shopping 17
Opportunity - New Growth Brands Division 18
Opportunity - Launch of New Brands 18
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Threats 18
Threat - Intense Competition 18
Threat - Growing Counterfeit Goods Market 18
Threat - Fast Changing Fashion Trends and Pricing Pressure 18
Threat - Rising Manpower Costs 19
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. - Key Competitors 20
Section 3 - Company Financial Ratios 21
Financial Ratios - Capital Market Ratios 21
Financial Ratios - Annual Ratios 21
Performance Chart 23
Financial Performance 23
Financial Ratios - Interim Ratios 24
Financial Ratios - Ratio Charts 25
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Recent Deals Summary 26
Section 4 - Appendix 27
Ratio Definitions 27
About GlobalData 31
Contact Us 31
List of Tables
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Key Facts 4
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Key Employees 5
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Key Employee Biographies 7
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Major Products and Services 8
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., History 9
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Other Locations 12
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Subsidiaries 13
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Key Competitors 20
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Ratios based on current share price 21
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Annual Ratios 21
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Interim Ratios 24
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Recent Deals Summary 26
Currency Codes 27
Capital Market Ratios 27
Equity Ratios 28
Profitability Ratios 28
Cost Ratios 29
Liquidity Ratios 29
Leverage Ratios 30
Efficiency Ratios 30
List of Figures
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Performance Chart (2008 - 2012) 23
J. C. Penney Company, Inc., Ratio Charts 25